Based On: Debian/Ubuntu
Desktop Environment: XFCE
ISO Size: ~625 MB
For Optimal Performance:
Processor Speed: 1.6 GHZ+
RAM/Memory: 1024 MB+
Free HDD Space: 20+ GB
Means to connect your PC to a HDTV
Element is an Ubuntu-based distribution for home theatre or media-centre personal computers featuring a ten-foot user interface and designed to be connected to a HDTV for a digital media and Internet experience within the comforts of a living room or entertainment area. Element comes pre-loaded with dozens of applications that will allow listening to, viewing, and managing music, videos, photos, and Internet media.
Screens:Login ScreenDesktopMedia CenterApplication FinderRating: 4.5/5
Verdict: This is a good little distro for anyone looking to create a media pc for your television. The only reason i rated it 4.5 instead of 5 is that you need a good machine to run this bad boy and you may hit a few kinks here and there nothing major. All in all near perfect for this genre of distro. If you want a media pc or looking for a distro to install on that new Nettop/HTPC you bought check this one out.
INSTALL NOTES (Read This - It's Important):
* To install Element insert the disc into your system at boot, when the live cd starts, access your Home Folder by clicking the folder icon on your central launcher bar, then click the Install Element icon. After installation you may delete this launcher from your Home Folder.
* On your first boot after system installation we recommend visiting the Addons/Extras section of our site and installing any needed addons from their that you may require, such as Boxee or LIRC.
* Element only supports the English language, other language settings will cause problems. You've been warned.
* For the optimal interface use a 1280x720 resolution on a direct rendering capable video card with HDMI inputs. All newer ATI, Intel, and Nvidia Cards with HDMI support direct rendering and recommended resolutions.
* Be sure to update your package lists in Synaptic or run 'sudo apt-get update' before using the Hardware Driver installer to make sure you are getting the latest versions of the available drivers.